Sunday, October 6, 2013

Traditional Saudi Food - Najd Village




A couple of weeks ago some wonderful Saudi friends took my mom and I to Najd Village so we can try traditional Saudi food.

Najd Village is a must for any expat living or traveling through Riyadh. Najdi refers to the old Riyadh and can refer to a person, dialect or food. The Najd Village specializes in old fashioned cuisine - it was incredible to see the number of people who go to eat at this establishment after Friday prayers.  Expats and Saudis alike adore their delicious food.



Best part is that the restaurant is a traditional mud house.  All around the restaurant you will see antiques placed delicately on the walls such as dullahs, pictures and cooking utensils. 


To reach the dining area, you walk up a narrow stairway into the main entrance.   Staying true to Najdi Saudi tradition and customs, men sit on the floor making chai and qahwa (tea and coffee) over an open fire.. Looking around you will find tables of spices, dates hanging from the ceiling and more antiques that you will definitely want to take your time to look at.













Now let's get to the part that you have been waiting for - the food itself!  The menu is a delight - candy to the eyes really.  I could not decide on what to choose and so the boys decided to get the works.  Filled with salads, soups, bread, main and seasonal dishes as well as desserts.   As we waited for our dinner, the server brought over some traditional Saudi coffee and fresh dates.
 



My personal favorite dish on the menu would hands down be the moqalqal which is boneless lamb with pepper and tomatoes sauce.  I also love the sweet sweet sabeeb; village brown bread topped with honey and a cup of hot black chai. 
Because we were a large party - the boys ordered 'sofra alqarya' (the village dinner)which was a little bit of everything. Dishes as lamb and chicken kabsa, rice, goursan, marqooq, saleeq were included (Check out the delicious platter that we were served!)


FYI - if you’re looking for a table and chair this is not the place Najd is as traditional as it gets even down to the metal bowls used to hold the drinks. As you notice - I am sitting on the ground as this is how Saudis traditionally eat.  Also - all the dishes are shared - no individual bowls here!
After our bellies were full and I was absolutely satisfied with the incredible platter of food we had eaten, desert came with a pot of delicious tea.  The desert was made with Saudi dates - I probably could have eaten a full plate myself.





I want to thank my wonderful friends Abdallah, Mishaal & Bandar for this wonderful experience.  I am definitely hooked on Saudi Kabsas!

4 comments:

  1. Great experience! Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gonul, so nice to hear from you! I am happy to see that you are following my blog! Ill try my best to keep it as interesting as possible!

      Delete
  2. I kind of wish I'd now been more diligent about convincing you to pack me in your suitcase :) Love the posts Rasha!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Max!!!!!!!! I wish I had packed you in my suitcase! Being in Saudi Arabia is such a unique experience. I am learning and seeing so much. Everyday is different. Miss you lots..sending lots of camel kisses your way!

      Delete